Thursday, September 25, 2008

I don't get to go

So, I've been wanting to go to the Deeper conference for awhile, but I've been unable to for a long time. Recently my parents relented and agreed that if I wanted to go, I could go. I was so excited and so pumped, but then I realized that Oct. 18 is a marching competition. Not only that, but it's our major one. So I go in after school and ask Big Dave if I can talk to him for a bit. I explain my predicament how much I really want to go, and how I've been praying and how just recently this oppurtunity opened up. He unfortunately told me I couldn't go and I had to leave. The next day, he called me into his office after school and said he was sorry if he seemed cold yesterday, but his decision stood. Then he started asking me about who was preaching there. So we had a little talk about the people and a tiny itsy public-school-acceptable bit of their doctrine. Then I recommended he listen to some of them. I know God placed me there for a reason, and I hope and pray he listens to some of these amazing preachers and God move in him to whatever end He wants. I don't even mind that I don't get to go because I was able to have a quasi-religious conversation with Mr. Raney. Hopefully God will open that up more because I really don't know that much about his spiritual status.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow, I so wanted to go to the Deeper Conference too, but I knew it was never really an option for me. I can't imagine thinking you could go and having it pulled away from you. Oh well, God is in control.

D Herrod said...

Legally as long as you bring it religious matters up a teacher may discuss it in school. However, it is probably better to discuss these things in private rather than a classroom setting. Although, I really appreciated the day a student asked me in class how to get saved. I told them my opinion (legally had to say that).

Back to the band thing. I know you want to go but you have a previous commitment to your band. Being a man of your word is going to speak louder to your band direct than cutting a competition to go to a religious conference.