Thursday, October 2, 2008

Don't Trust God Too Much!

So, I feel like I'm being called to be a pastor. God's made it obvious to me that that is what I'm to be. I've heard the call and I pray God's making me ready and making me prepared to be open to Him so I can be a Godly pastor and man. But I have a bit of a problem. My parents are basically telling me to not trust God too much. They say that I can not go into seminary until I have a degree and a job for something else so I can be financially stable. That's their same stance on me doing a mission trip. When they say that something justs...screams inside me. I just want to shake them and beg them to see that God will take care of me, that money doesn't matter. That God will provide for me what I need. I mean, what do ya'll think? I wouldn't have as much as a problem with it if my mother had told me that she's prayed about it and she really felt that God was laying this on her heart that I should go get this degree, then see, but she just straight up tells me that I can not go to seminary until I have this done...:-/ I think I'll talk to her about it and my opinion.

4 comments:

Brenda said...

Lots of prayer to soft their hearts, if it is truly God's will for you to become a pastor. God will take care of all, if that is what he wants for your life. Love ya, Momma B

Anonymous said...

Oooohhhh, I really think you're not gonna like what I have to say. You don't sound kinda like me a year ago. You sound EXACTLY like me a year ago. And you know what happened? I got CRUSHED. Please please, listen to your parents. Firstly, God put your parents there for a reason and he knew what advice they would be giving you whether or not it sounds very "Christian".

Secondly, do you want to be a good Pastor/Minister? If you are like me, you do and if you are like me, you will want to jump right into it and start it right away. That was my plan. I had visited the seminary, applied, and made all the arrangements so trust me when I say I know what I am talking about. Seminary is great, but Pastors in today's environment need some education in something else: perhaps business, communications, SOMETHING. Please listen to me. I so wanted to do what I wanted to do that I realized I was not respecting my parent's wisdom and I felt so sure that this was "obviously" what God wanted me to do that I really didn't put much thought into it. Finally, I saw how God was arranging the pieces for me to get secular education first.

Maybe God wants you to go straight to seminary, but listen to me. Make sure it is God Himself and not your Godly zeal that is deciding this.

Food for thought.

Anonymous said...

from Anna

Mission trips take a lot of money and where can you find that?

I think of a conversation I had with someone at college how churches always promise that God will provide. If you give us money then God will double it or whatever.

I think of George Muller how God provided for the orphanage by sending milk

But this person reminded me of the martyrs in China.

Even at CSC which I mostly hated the music, but what I could comprehend from the speaker was great. He said that their were people at his church who wanted to be part of a band but in the meantime had no money. They keept saying God eill provide this speaker/pastor told them "but what if He doesn't?" get a job!

I've heard something like this before but it's encouraging to hear it from a pastor. (wow I feel like this is a note itself--it's so long.)

To an extent I can't tell you some things b/c I don't have a job, but after I couldn't get a summer job after zillions of apllications I guess I "don't trust God too much."

D Herrod said...

If you want to be involved in missions start where you are. Start in your Jerusalem and the go to the ends of the Earth. I have only got go on 3 actual mission trips. However I have been involved with many short term missions projects in my own community. Some I volunteered on a regular basis.

As for calling, something I have learned from personal experience. Twenty years ago I believe God was calling me to preschool and children's ministry. Today my calling for now is college/young adult. I really see it as a passion more than a calling. Now I see the calling was/is to be faithful and follow.