Monday, July 21, 2008

Sadly

They didn't listen....

Kmart told me after marching camp this morning (which I couldn't take part in because of my ankle.) that people were going to McDonalds. Kmart, Smokey, Dreads, Josh, Smartso, and the New Trumpet kid. So we all go down there along with some other people who left later. We all get our food and sit down and talk about band for a little while. Then they start getting worldly in the conversation. I feel kinda awkward because these people expect me to join in, but I'm sitting there looking uncomfortable eating my food. Then tell jokes and end it with "hahaha, I'm going to Hell." "Yeah me too. Front row ticket!" "I gotta apartment down there! Hahaha." "For real man!" And they're all laughing and joking about Hell. All I can think of is them burning forever and how much Jesus did for them all and how they're sitting there laughing about Hell. I know they were joking, but that's not something to take that lightly. Their fruits were thorns. Their view was worldly. Not just because of that, but also because of other parts of conversation. So, I pray. Father, if you want me to speak to these people, let the table get quiet so I can bring You up. A few minutes later it gets quiet, and just as I muster up the courage to speak, they start talking again about fluffy worldly things. Darn it. Same prayer. Same results. This time I get out the word, so. Then they start talking again. This time I pray for quiet, strength, boldness, and quickness. It gets quiet, and I ask....What is the leading cause of death of drivers in the US?....various answers....I say wrong, wrong, wrong....TREES! They all laugh. I say what's the only fish that can blink with both it's eyes. Some one guesses it right the first time. They all laugh. I say, what's the most dangerous job in America. Steel workers, crab fishermen, police officer, etc. Wrong wrong wrong I say, the president! They laugh, and I start to ask the most important question, but there they go off on a conversation about Abraham Lincoln. People check their clocks. OH NO! I thought. I'm not going to be able to give them the gospel! What if they die in a wreck as soon as they leave!? Who knows if I was brought to McDonalds for such a time as this!?!?! I go for it.

Me:So "Smokey". Do you really think you're going to Hell?
Smokey: I'd hope not, but I don't know.
Me to the other people at the table: Do you? Do you? Do you?
Them: Maybe, you can't know really, I don't know, no. YES!!!!
Josh: I'm going to heaven because I confessed he's my lord.
Me: Well, Jesus said that whoever says Lord, Lord will not enter the kingdom of heaven, but he who does the will of my father shall.
Them: random talking about how you can't know for sure. And how they pray and that means they're good. Dreads was talking about how cool Hell will be.
Me: Well, there's a way you can know for sure. You know what God's standard is, right? His perfect standard is the 10 commandments.
Then I led Smokey through 4 of the 10 commandments, and asked him if God would find him guilty or innocent on Judgement day. Guilty I guess, he said.
Then, as I was preparing to go into the good news and salvation and fruits and how you can know if you're saved and going to Heaven, Satan struck. Dreads said, "So you guys gonna see Pineapple Express?" And boom they jumped onto the other topic. They didn't want to hear any more about God. I was sad. Oh well, I thought, I planted a seed or two. Maybe someone will think about what I did manage to get out. God will do what He wills with them and I did as much as I can do right now. There's always later. I was happy at least that they didn't stone me with hamburgers. Please pray for these people. Then I left and went and sat with Smartso who was sitting with Lannom. We talked about government, religion, salvation, evangelism, and lots of other stuff. Hahaha, I'm glad God gave me smartso to talk to because that conversation cheered me up a lot and I learned a lot about Smartso. Then everyone left. I gave Dreads a tract called 7 false ideas about Hell, hopefully he'll read it. I prayed a lot for these people. They're people who I used to look up to and have fun with, but now I realize how worldly they are. I love them dearly, but they are so worldly! I tried to be polite as I could and nice as I could, but they just wouldn't pay attention. Later Kmart told me that some of them were slightly offended. At what?

Did I do something wrong?
Your thoughts?
Ideas?
Advice?
Prayers?

3 comments:

Shawna said...

Hi Jacob! I think you did your best. I would imagine trying to talk to a group about God would be much more difficult because of the influence of Satan vs. talking one on one with someone. In your efforts you have given them something to think about and that is their eternal destiny. You could use this conversation to talk one on one to some of the people there...remind them of the previous conversation; let them know you care about them and that you would like to finish what you were trying to tell them. Also, those who were "offended" may have been convicted. Just don't forget that it is the power of God to convert men; you have planted a seed. I hope this helps. I will keep praying for you. See you tonight.

Brenda said...

I have Godly pride in you right now. You stepped out on faith and spoke to those you know, the ones God has strategically placed in your life. These young people will see Christ in you and if God wants you to continue to minister to these kids he will open that door wide open for you.

Anonymous said...

Matthew 22:14"For many are called, but few are chosen." Remember that God is sovereign; he has you right where he wants you. While you are sleeping God is working in the hearts of men. Do not fret for he is mighty to save.